Monday, February 15, 2010

Best Valetine's Day Ever?

Valentine's Day 2010 may go down as one of the best in the Mayfield family. I had a great plan for the day... which went way downhill as the day wore on. I woke up feeling great... slept well during the night, made yummy heart shaped buttermilk biscuits and chocolate gravy for breakfast. Everyone was so impressed (except Josh... but that is a whole 'nother story). I blogged yesterday about not being able to find much of anything that I needed to get ready for church, so I spent the majority of the day unpacking boxes and locating much needed hygiene items. As the day wore on, I started feeling really yucky. By late afternoon/early evening I had a full blown cold and felt pretty much like death warmed over. Barry sent me to bed, and my dreams of a perfect Valentine night went down the drain... or so I thought.

Josh has decided that he LOVES to make pizza, and since I had planned to make heart-shaped pizzas for dinner, he jumped on board with that. I gave him the recipe for the crust, told him to multiply it by 2 1/2 so we would have plenty of pizza for everyone, then I trotted off to bed. A while later my oldest comes and tells me that things are not going well in the kitchen. It seems that Josh did some figuring wrong  and had about 4X as much water as was needed. Instead of throwing it out and starting all over again, he just kept adding more and more flour to the mix. I was reallly feeling to gross to really care too much, but then Barry comes to tell me that the ENTIRE kitchen is covered with flour. I really wish now that I had made myself get out of bed and go take pictures of this event, but at the time I didn't think of it. Well, Josh keeps on with making the pizza, Kayti has made the cupcakes (red velvet with homemade cream cheese icing), and someone has set the table. Part of our yearly Valentine dinner tradition is to eat dinner together by candle-light. Now, considering that I can't even find my deodorant yesterday morning, do you really think I can tell anyone where to find candles for last night? No. I have NO idea where they are, and I really feel too yucky to get up and try to find them. So, what does my sweet Megan do? She finds a flashlight, sets it up on the table, and announces that this will be our "candle" for the night.

Once dinner is done, I get out of bed to join my family at the table. The pizza actually looks great... the crust is about 2 inches tall, but it tastes good. We end up keeping the lights on since the flashlight was just not giving us enough light, and I promise a disappointed daughter that we will have a candle-light dinner together once we can find all the candles.

As we all sat there around the table, I couldn't help but think that this was the best V-Day dinner ever. What I wasn't able to do for my family, they pitched in together and did for me and each other. They gave of themselves, showing what real love is. I love them all tons, and I am so thankful to have them in my life. They make this journey not only worthwhile, but downright enjoyable.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ahhh. That is sweet. I hope the chaos slows down and that you feel better soon!

Jen said...

love it. hope you're feeling better.