... to your school secretary on Secretary's Day: Have a Code Red drill, without telling her beforehand that it is a drill!!! I answered the phone this morning, and it is one of our local police officers, calling to tell me that we need to put the school under Code Red, or lock-down. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, it means that there is an inturder in the school, or danger headed to the school, and the school must be locked down, literally. Talk about freaking me out!!! I ran and got our principal, who told me to call it over the intercom, and then we went into action. She then pulled us aside and let us know that it was just a drill, but the rest of the school didn't know it, and we needed to keep it that way. I at least could breath again when she said that, and we spent the next 30 minutes or so with police officers going through the school. They were testing to see how prepared we were, and it turns out that we did very well.
Our principal made it up to us by buying us lunch today.... yummy Casa Blanca!! She said she was sorry to scare us so badly, but we all did a great job, and exactly what we were supposed to do. We did field calls the rest of the day from parents; some thankful that we kept their kiddos safe, and practiced keeping them safe, and some ticked off because we didn't let them know before hand that we were going to be doing a drill.
So, to all you secretaries (or Professional Administrative Assistants if you prefer), I hope you had a great day, and your boss did something great for you!!
5 comments:
I am so sorry!! You deserve a better secretary day. You are the best! Kendall loves you and I love you. What a hard day and then you turn around and show up at YW tonight. You are wonderful.
Well, that was eventful! I am glad I didn't hear about the drill because I would have been calling to check on you and the kids. I can't help myself!
I have heard a lot of stories about this. What fun for you. Love your blog and thanks for the cookies. They were so good.
Man! That would be scary! So, why were some of the parents mad that they didn't know beforehand about the drill? Did it affect them somehow?
I don't understand why parents should be upset - the whole point of a drill is to see how the staff and kids perform/react - if parents knew ahead of time they would tip off their kids - if I had been the staff I would have been making notes of what parents had been alerted and asking how their children had gotten ahold of them - could it be on their cell phones that they aren't supposed to have at school?
Post a Comment